In an effort to promote public safety, County Executive Bruce A. Blakeman and Nassau County Police Department Commissioner Patrick J. Ryder have announced the following security measures for the 2023 Long Island Marathon:
• All vehicles at starting line and other staging areas must be credentialed and known in advance • Large contingent of uniformed and non-uniformed police officers will be assigned to the event • Officers assigned from NCPD Emergency Services and other units with portable radiation detectors • All race participants must bring their personal belongings in the clear plastic bag provided by the race committee. Bags will be subject to K-9 explosive detection prior to being loaded onto the trucks bringing them to the finish line. K-9’s will be patrolling the general area • Participants should arrive early due to modified road closures around the start and finish line areas and should plan to leave enough time for parking and travel to starting line • Only registered participants will be permitted into the Marathon and Half Marathon starting line area on Park Blvd on Sunday
• Spectators and family members will be permitted to view the Start Line activities from a pre-designated area but will not be allowed to congregate with the athletes
• Race participants may only use clear bags at the baggage check. Clear bags will be provided by race officials at participant check-in • Any bags or packages found on the ground will be discarded or destroyed. Participants should not place personal items along the race route.
• Eisenhower Park finish line security at the spectator seating area includes Modified Fencing and Jersey Walls around seating Entrance/Exit gateways and bags/backpacks will be searched • Finish line festival area will include fencing and Jersey Walls to limit gateways for ingress and egress • The staff and volunteer-only areas require vehicle credentials as well as individual credentials. Only previously credentialed individuals will be permitted in these areas
• Spectators wishing to view the Start Line activities are not permitted to bring bags or carried items of any kind into the Eisenhower Park Start Line area
• Bags and most carried items will be permitted within the Finish Line Festival Area after the start of the race and will subject to search before entering